Having a blog is a good way to connect with your audience, get them interested in your services and products, as well as showing off your knowledge about a topic. Starting a blog is easy, especially if it is about your specialist area! Getting your blog to become successful and more visible online can be more of a challenge.
Last month, we saw a HUGE algorithm update (nicknamed the “medic” update), and many blogs were hit hard by the changes to this algorithm. In typical Google style, we are not told the details about the changes, not are we told specifically why some sites were affected more than others. With virutally no information to help, how can we help keep our blogs safe and ranking well?
The most important thing to do is formulate a consistent strategy for SEO on your blog. Treat your blog as you would a house you are building – you probably wouldn’t just grab the nearest and cheapest bricks to build your house, randomly piling them up on top of each other! Of course, you are more likely to carefully plan the build, keeping and eye on each element used.
There are several things you can optimise relatively easily which are technical issues on your blog.
- Fixing any broken links – the odd one or two broken links isn’t a problem, but if you have lots of outdated or abandoned sites you are linking to, these could be having a negative affect on your blog’s SEO.
- Load speed: check the time it takes to load your blog. If it is longer than a couple of seconds, you should check what things could be slowing it down.
- Structure: you do not want to have important parts of your blog more than two clicks away from the homepage. Any deeper click depth can make your blog harder for the Google bots to crawl.
Get creative! Time to write your blog posts for their best effect.
- Think about the needs of your readers. Many people look to blogs to answer a question, provide a checklist or provide a guide or tutorial. When writing your blog posts, think about the user intent, and fill gaps in knowledge for your readers.
- Different types of content are more interesting! Add images, videos, infographics, polls, quotes and all sorts of other things.
- Ensure your content is “scannable”. This means breaking up large blocks of text with paragraphs, media or bullet points. Highlight any important parts or call to action points too!
- PROOF READ! This is one of the most important points. You do not want to go to the effort of writing a killer post while including spelling mistakes or poor grammar. This is actually an area which Google looks at when scanning your page!
Outreach and Link Building
One of the most effective ways of getting your blog more widely seen, is to make it super sharable!
- Ensure buttons to share your post are easy to find. Place them near the top of the page, in close proximity to the content. Avoid putting the share button in the footer, as most readers do not actually get to the bottom of a page.
- Share your post on your social media profiles. You can even share a Facebook or Instagram story to promote your post! Why not try sharing your blog to another online community such as Reddit, StumbleUpon or Digg?
- A great way to get more exposure for other posts of yours is to include blog links to other relevant posts you have written.
Last Updated on