What can you do to help?Two main barriers to climb over when writing content are:
- Physical – it is much harder to read text when it is on a screen rather than on paper, in fact, we read up to 25% slower on screen due to the extra pressures on the eyes and brain!
- Behavioural – we tend to skim read, mainly noticing headings, hyperlinks and numbers as well as keywords. This is our impatient behaviour showing up!
Our Top Tips
- Write as a knowlegable source on your topic, but try not to include too much technical language – this can confuse the reader.
- Write for the reader, not for yourself! Focus on how your product or service will make their lives easier instead of simply going on about how amazing/wonderful/fabulous it is.
- Include client testimonials – it increases your credibility (especially if you are telling them how great their lives will be after purchasing your product!)
- Break up the text. Use shorter paragraphs and sentences than you might normally. Headings and sub-headings help to break up the text too. Bullet points also help…
- Begin with a summary of the main content – this is a part your reader will skim read.
- Use active verbs like “learn more”, “contact us” and “buy now”.